Monday, January 31, 2011

Sweet Home Alabama

I've been meaning to post about my trip to Alabama since I came back. I keep forgetting though. And since it's painfully obvious I'm terrible with both blog layouts AND pictures, I'm going to try to post some photos on here, but don't judge me.

So my dad offered to send me out to see him and the rest of his side of the family over my winter break. I was hesitant because, as I think I've mentioned before, he and I have a VERY difficult relationship. But I went because I've been trying really hard to better myself and I think that involves a certain level of forgiveness. Anywho, we had pleasantly nice weather during my trip, thank goodness because the DAY after I left a HUGE ice and snowstorm hit!

On one of the first days we went to my Aunt Tammy's house in Opelika, they have a ton of horses and it was really fun to see all my cousins again.





My grandma came out shortly after, both my aunts were there as well. We havent all been together in more than 5 years. It's really rough because my grandma was diagnosed with Alzheimer a few years back. She has gotten progressively worse and it's heartbreaking to witness. Despite this I was really grateful to spend time with her.



I spent a lot of time with my dad in Cusseta, which was interesting. We used to be really close. His fiance lives with him. I don't really know how to describe how I feel about that since it will be his 3rd marriage and 5th engagement. Now I am not stuck up nor do I make it a habit to judge people. But I feel like they are VERY immature and irresponsible. My dad has a relatively good job, yet he is constantly "broke". Or so he says. They live in a trailer, which again, no judgment. But I believe with smarter choices and better money management my dad could have a better life. And I don't think his newest wife will help with that much.

My favorite part of the trip was seeing my Aunt Tawana in Newnan, GA. When I was little she used to come to California at least twice a month to see me. She was single, and a flight attendant, she had no children. For so long she was my favorite person ever! We always had so much fun. Then she got married and had my cousin Audrey, but never stopped being one of my favorites. She even flew from Atlanta for my college graduation. My dad didn't even come. Regardless I will always have a special place in my heart for our relationship. While my dad was taking my sister to the airport she and I spent hours talking and catching up. She seems to feel the same as I do about my dad's fiance. She, my cousin Audrey, and I decided to take some fun pictures during my last night there.






All in all the trip went well and I'm grateful my dad brought me out. Our relationship is still dicey but I hope we're on our way to repairing it, at least somewhat. I know we will never had what we used to in terms of a relationship, but I guess I'll settle for what is possible. I am lucky to have my step dad to give me what my real dad never could. I only wish I had more time with my Grandparents. Hopefully I'll be back there this summer to spend most of my time with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment