As I write my heart is filled with happiness.
Now a quick little side note; I don't have a fancy blog. I don't have the desire for millions to read my words. My hand cramps when I write so I no longer keep a journal. That's why blogging started for me.
Anywho. I became a CASA this summer. A Court Appointed Special Advocate for foster children. My first case assignment RIPPED me apart. I was a lucky kid, no one stole my innocence. (Well, they did, but only around age 11 and with no sexual abuse, so in the grand scheme of things I feel I got off lucky).
I cried when I read her file and was sick to my stomach. I tried to tell my boyfriend about how genuinely sad it made me, but the words wouldn't come. I have read Aunt Becky's Blog for years and I have seen her reference the group blog Band Back Together many times. I went there.
There wasn't a tab for "Over emotional volunteer has trouble dealing". So I wrote my own post, I filed it under child abuse or some other thing. I wrote how OUTRAGED I was and how understaffed the National CASA Organization is. I wrote about how something like 65% of the boys on the WAITLIST (there is a WAITLIST for children to have an advocate, disgusting) never get a CASA because there are so few male volunteers. (It's usually because they need a strong male figure in their lives why they've even been deemed in need of a CASA).
I posted my story, it received a few "pump me up" comments. And I felt good. I got my "advocate swagger" back; which is what I like to call it.
Then! Then the National CASA Organization posted about the Band's site. THEN! Aunt Becky (who really guys, I would just love to hang out with for a few days because she is so friggen hilarious) posted about the organization posting. And while yes I know it isn't because of my stellar intellect and writing skills that they did this; I am GLAD! I'm glad it may inspire ONE person to become involved and I'm glad such an amazing group blog got some publicity. Sooo go check out Band Back Together and if you ever feel the urge to become the one person in a child's life who isn't constantly leaving them, become a CASA.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment