Tuesday, February 23, 2010

this weekend, recap!

This weekend was BEYOND amazing. So Thursday I went to pick up Corbin from the airport and we went straight home when I picked him up and...well...hung out.

Then Friday I worked and he changed my oil (among other things...that part comes later). So after I got off work we went to the store and got stuff for dinner and made filet mignon and crab legs and I made his favorite scalloped potatoes. It was fun :) then we just watched movies on the couch all night. Nights like that are so perfect to me. I love the simple things.

Anywho then Saturday we laid around all day and did absolutely nothing at all. Then got ready and went into SF for the night. We went to dinner at this place called Absinthe that was beyond amazing. It was really fancy (and super expensive) and at first Corbin felt a little uncomfortable I think but loosened up and we had an amazing dinner. The cocktails were AMAZING I had something called a perfect pear martini and he had a sacred heart (made with Absinthe!)

The Perfect Pear Martini

The guy said we'd have about a 40 minute wait since we had no reservation and the ballet, symphony, and Wicked were all going on that night. We waited maybe 15 minutes for our table which was awesome. We started off with the French Onion soup which was freaking fabulous. This is coming from a girl who could LIVE off soup, and has had French Onion EVERYWHERE. Hands down, best ever.


French Onion Soup at Absinthe

Then we went onto our entrees. I had blue nose bass with pureed squash and wilted kale (amazing) and Corbin had braised beef cheeks which looked awesome.


braised beef cheeks at Absinthe (Corbin's looked a bit different actually)

So we were FAR too full for dessert (don't tell but I was DEVASTATED haha dessert is always my favorite and don't EVER believe me if I say I don't want it).

From there we walked (less than a mile) to the Orpheum Theater where Wicked was playing. We made it to our seats with about 10 minutes until the show started. Everything worked out perfectly! It was SO fabulous. I seriously could not believe how beyond amazing it was! It blew my mind! I knew it'd be great but never expected this! I've watched clips but never could have imagined how truly wonderful it was. I was so surprised that Corbin enjoyed it also and really happy he did!


The Orpheum Theater


Us just as we walked inside of the Orpheum Theater to see Wicked!

After Wicked we walked back to the car, took a bit of a longer route. It was a beautiful night and the city was pretty deserted. It was really pretty though. I loved just walking around with him.


Us in front of San Fransisco City Hall.

We sort of did nothing the rest of the weekend. It was great to spend time with him, I wish we could just have a normal relationship where we lounge around the couch all weekend. Sunday we went out to eat but it was pretty rainy and stuff so again we just stayed home. I can't really explain how much I love just lounging around watching TV with him. I can't wait to have that normal relationship.

Anyway Monday morning I was taking Corbin to the airport around 7am and my car was acting nuts! So we pull into a gas station and realize I have no transmission fluid. I was VERY upset and talked to a few people before I made the decision to get it towed. Based on the way the car was acting and the fact that it was out of transmission fluid it seemed unanimous that I shouldn't drive and would need a new transmission. Corbin had already missed his flight and had to take public transportation the rest of the way to the airport and I had my car towed back to my town. He made it to the airport within two hours (actually with only 5 minutes to spare) so he was able to fly standby on the next flight out. He was so calm in the situation I couldn't believe it. I was a wreck.

So then I am back at work all day thinking the transmission is broken and upset. Per my parents advice I begin looking for new cars since blue book on mine is like $2,000 and its paid off and would cost that much for a new transmission. I thought cut my losses and get a new one.

Then...Bob calls............

(Bob is the manager of the service dept at the Chevy dealership)

"Amanda, can you tell me about your car. For instance, has someone changed the oil lately?!"

"Why yes Bob, my boyfriend changed the oil just this weekend."

"Well Amanda, it seems as though your oil is overfilling, about 12 quarts in there. And there is no evidence of your transmission leaking recently. In fact there is no residual fluid meaning your transmission is in perfect condition, it's NEVER leaked. And it seems as though the fluid either disappeared, or it was drained. I don't believe in magic soooo....maybe your boyfriend drained it?"

"Gee Bob he said he knew what he was doing! Is it possible he made a mistake?"

"Amanda, he is a man. He will say it's impossible but you know the answer to that."

Needless to say Corbin was pretty embarrassed. I wasn't upset at all, just very grateful I didn't need a new transmission and the ol' egg will keep goin. Hopefully it lasts until I'm done with my graduate degree and into a better job. Ended up costing me about $160, but I guess in the end that's better than a new car's cost!

So I had a VERY eventful weekend..sorry for the long post, lots to include. Next time I'll see Corbin is in San Diego when I go down on March 12th. I am way excited. It's pretty far away though, I'm not too sure I can make it that long. Boo.

1 comment:

  1. No, I didn't read your entire weekend recap, I stopped at the part where you SAW WICKED!! Woo hoo! I'm so glad you were able to do it and with your boyfriend at that!

    ReplyDelete